Maatkit Install on OS X Snow Leopard

By | November 12, 2009

After upgrading to the newest version Maatkit, the invaluable toolkit for MySQL, I was no longer able to run any of the Maatkit tools. The problem turned out to be caused by my update to MacPorts after upgrading to Snow Leopard.

Note, if you haven’t installed Maatkit, yet, you may need to first install the Perl DBI module. Make sure the MySQL bin directory is in your path so that perl can find mysql_config.

$ sudo perl -MCPAN -e 'install Bundle::DBI'
$ cpan
cpan[1]> get DBD::mysql
cpan[2]> quit
$ cd ~/.cpan/build/DBD-mysql   {use tab completion to get full path}
$ perl Makefile.PL --testuser='root'   {supply valid values for --testuser and --testpassword}
$ make
$ make test
$ sudo make install

By default, Apple provides perl 5.10, which is built in 64-bit mode, though backwards compatible with 32-bit binaries. However, I was seeing a different version.

$ perl --version

This is perl, v5.8.9 built for darwin-2level

Trying to run mk-archiver resulted in the following error (again, wrapping some lines for readability):

$ mk-archiver --version
Can't load '/opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8//darwin-2level/auto/Data/Dumper/Dumper.bundle'
for module Data::Dumper:
dlopen(/opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8//darwin-2level/auto/Data/Dumper/Dumper.bundle, 1):
no suitable image found.  Did find:
/opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8//darwin-2level/auto/Data/Dumper/Dumper.bundle:
mach-o, but wrong architecture at
/opt/local/lib/perl5/5.8.9/darwin-2level/XSLoader.pm line 73.
 at /opt/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.8//darwin-2level/Data/Dumper.pm line 27
Compilation failed in require at /opt/local/bin/mk-archiver line 874.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /opt/local/bin/mk-archiver line 874.

The “wrong architecture” note in the error message led me to eventually find the cause of my troubles. MacPorts added the following to my ~/.bash_profile (I wrapped a line to make it easier to read:

# MacPorts Installer addition on 2009-10-31_at_23:33:12:
# adding an appropriate PATH variable for use with MacPorts.
export PATH=/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:$PATH
# Finished adapting your PATH environment variable for use with MacPorts.

This caused the 32-bit perl 5.8.9 from MacPorts to be used instead of the 64-bit perl 5.10 provided with Snow Leopard. Commenting out the export line above was the first step to fixing the problem.

I also noticed that I wasn’t adding /usr/bin to my path before I added the MacPorts paths. So, I made the following change to my .bash_profile (leaving out some of the path components for clarity).

PATH_PREFIX=/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:$JDK_HOME/bin:/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin
PATH_SUFFIX=$ANT_HOME/bin:$MYSQL_HOME/bin:$SCALA_HOME/bin:$GIT_HOME/bin
export PATH=$PATH_PREFIX:$PATH:$PATH_SUFFIX

Using source .bash_profile won’t update the PATH variable properly because of the way it is being constructed above. So, start a new console to get a corrected value for the PATH. Then you should get:

$ perl --version

This is perl, v5.10.0 built for darwin-thread-multi-2level

and something like

$ mk-archiver --version
mk-archiver  Ver 1.0.20 Distrib 5014 Changeset 5004

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *